Skip to main content

SOLO MOUNTAIN ADVENTURES

This week I went back to school, went from employee to boss, and became overwhelmingly stressed out in the process. My head seems to be a whirlwind of thoughts and feelings, and with an unforeseen day off it only made sense to answer the call of the mountains. 

With a LOT of bear activity right now, I decided a solo hike was probably not the best option so I chose to explore Highway 40. Below I have added a photo that outlines the route I took, having driven almost 400 kms. 


I packed up a lunch, grabbed a coffee, gassed up my car and headed to Elbow Falls. 
Elbow Falls is a beautiful, easily accessed day use area that contains a set of waterfalls along the Elbow River. It is just West of Bragg Creek, about a 45 minute drive from the condo. 


Elbow Falls has beautiful walking trails along the river, leading up to the falls. It was a gorgeous day, so I took my sweet time getting to the viewpoint. 


Stopping along the way I sat by the river and listened to the water. 


The popular photo angle made possible by the viewpoint. 



After a short visit, I got back into the car and headed for Highway 40. I got on at the very beginning, right off of Highway 1. 

My first stop on the highway was Mt. Lorette Ponds. 

Turning right at the pond entrance, you come across a observation deck shortly after crossing a bridge. There is a bench that boasts a beautiful plaque commemorating Aaron Browne who died climbing Mt. Lorette in 2006.  


The view from his bench. 


Continuing on, you wrap around the ponds and are offered beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. 


Mt. Lorette Ponds is very popular for day picnics and campfires. Each site is first come, first served and conservation officers enforce a strict "leave no trace" policy.  


The view from the other side of the pond, opposite Aaron's bench. 


Love was in the air today. 


After enjoying the ponds, I hopped back into the car and headed towards one of my favorite spots along the highway, Wedge Pond. 


Wedge Pond also has beautiful trails around the whole pond. There are also picnic sites available (see below). 


Views from my picnic site. 




Fall is coming to this part of the mountains, as the snow has not quite reached this area yet!!


Above and below are photos taken from the western side of the pond. 


Photos from the eastern side:



A popular bike trail also wraps around the pond. 


After I left Wedge, I continued along Highway 40 through Highwood Pass, into Longview and all the way back home. Needing some time to connect with the mountains, I only have a couple photos of the last couple hours of my drive back home. 



The mountains have this beautiful way of healing my heart and head when I feel out of whack. These last couple months have been an emotional roller coaster and some serious mountain therapy was needed. 
Although this small day drive helped my head, my heart is already craving another visit and summit climb before winter really sets in. 

Who knows where my wandering heart will take me next. 

stay safe friends

xoxo
char hazzard















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP ANIMALS IN NEED

If you're anything like me, you have a real soft spot for animals, especially those who haven't been treated fairly. Ever felt helpless, wondering what you can do to help?  Well lucky for you, I've got a list of 10 easy things you can do to make a real difference in the lives of the animals who need your help.  (this little guy was named Samson. A volunteer from  Megan's Rescue Efforts  called about a tiny little pup they found who was in terrible shape! This photo was taken during Samson's first few days at the rescue. Wait until you see the handsome pup he was transformed into!!) 1. ADOPT Although this seems like a no brainer, it still needs to be said. There are hundreds of animals waiting in a shelter to find their forever homes, and believe it or not, there are purebreds as well. Staff and volunteers work tirelessly to learn the personalities of each animal, and work to make the best matches between adopter and animal. This is a life time commitm

SUNDAY FUNDAY WITH VIVIAN AND JAKE

It has been a while since our last adventure, so we decided today was the perfect day to get some quality self-care time in the books before Jake heads out of town for work again.  Following the most up-and-down Summer of our lives, our Fall didn't slow down much at all with school, starting my own cleaning business, starting practicum, and Jake's work getting super busy, taking him out of town.  With that said, the snow finally melted (somewhat), and the temperature warmed up, so it was a perfect day to grab an adventure partner, and explore a part of Fish Creek Park that we have never been to.  We messaged Megan, suited up for an adventure and picked up sweet Vivian (pictured above).  Vivian is a 7 month old pup who was picked up in Morley, suspected of being dumped by her previous owners. We don't know much of her back story, but we are determined to help her create a more adventurous, happy, and loving future.  Throughout the car ride, Vivian sat in t

OUR FOSTER FAIL, OUR HOUSE COW

The beginning of Sasha's story is not the most glamorous, she was brought into the rescue because she was pregnant and the owners no longer wanted her. When she arrived, all I remember thinking was "another mostly black cat, she'll be hard to get adopted..." You see, Sasha was not ever one to want any human interaction, even more so when she had her kittens. She would allow you to pet her, but she was never one to seek out the attention.  None the less as her kittens grew they developed their own spunky personalities, and we took 2 of them in as our fosters (Bailey & Marlin, see below).  Marlin here was already pending adoption when we got him in our care, and it didn't take long to figure out why. This little guy was full of personality, and never ever turned down a cuddle.  Bailey however wasn't getting any interest until the day that she climbed next to the food bag and sat there, looking like a mirror image of the cat on the cat food